Thursday, July 16, 2009

Did you hear this? Album from the last five years.

Tom Ewing got me thinking about some really good probably unheard of albums from this past decade. Because this list was already so long, I’m only doing the past five years. Here is a list I have come up with. Some of these probably won't be news to you if you follow KWUR, but I would say these are albums that aren't that known.

The Mae Shi - HILLYH: If you ever need something fast-paced or upbeat, you have to check out this album. Full of fun and speed, my favorites include “The Melody” and “Run to Your Grave”. Bonus points for watching this cover of “See You Again.” Yes that song.

Olafur Arnalds - anything this guy has made. From his Found Songs toVariations of Static anything this guy has made so far amazes me. I remember putting on headphones in Luna Music to listen to Variations. Within seconds I knew that I had to have this album. He is currently working on a new album.

The Long Winter - Putting The Days To Bed: This album is great from start to finish. “Honest” is a song about loving a singer. “Hindsight” might be my favorite. Bonus for checking out “The Commander Thinks Aloud” off the Ultimatum EP.

Corey Dargel - Other People’s Love Songs: Corey Dargel spent some time by having people commission love songs for their loved ones. He’d go interview the person and ask them about their relationship. He would then create some very amazing songs based off of what they told him. You can just feel the love n this one.

Tullycraft - Every Scene Needs It’s Center: I remember the day I saw this in our station with the review “and with the kind of wit and irony that a Pitchfork writer wished they had.” I don’t know who wrote that, but they hit it dead on. It’s Twee-pop, but who can fault that. Check out “Dracula Screams of Tiger Style.”

Ryan Bingham - Mescalito: This is a country album that I would recommend for anyone who doesn’t like country. Pure and twangy. “Other Side” is worth a first look.

Narrator - All That To The Wall: It’s energetic and punk and you’ve never heard it. They have some fun with songs like “Surfjew” and “Son of the Son of the Kiss of Death.”

Elvis Perkins - Ash Wednesday: When I first heard “While You Were Sleeping” which is the first track off this album, I was entranced. I in fact wake up to this song everyday during the school year. A deeply personal album that I heard deals partially with his mothers death on one of the 9/11 planes.

White Flight - White Flight: This album was made after the artist spent some time in the rainforest doing local drugs. Weird yet entrancing and slightly folkish. “The Condition” is my favorite.

13 & God - 13 & God: Bizarre yet peaceful. Somewhat unsettling at points at high volumes. This one has been a personal night favorite for a while. “Afterclap” is my recomendation.

The Gunshy - There’s No Love In This War: This is an amazing album that is based off of letters written by the singers grandfather to his grandmother during the war. “May 14th, 1943” is my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. Pitchfork will be the Mae Shi's last show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. America, build a radar that Elvis Perkins won't fly under.

    ReplyDelete