Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Merriweather Post Pavilion




Already heralded with reviews calling it the best album of the year, album of the decade, etc, Animal Collective have hit some kind of heavenly balance with this new album. No Avey Tare yelps on this record-- much more similar to Panda Bear's solo work. Catchy, layered without becoming overloaded (or overloading), beautiful melodies and harmonies. I read today that they've described themselves as "Electronic music made with traditional instruments" and that really helps me get them, as well as realizing their roots in freak-folk (as unfortunate as that term is). They combine texture and lyrics and electronic shimmer into songs that are both jubilant and sad, minor-key without being downers. Lyrics touch on mature themes, just like all the blogs are telling you-- yes, My Girls is about wanting to buy a house. I'm a sucker for finding beautiful in the ordinary, and AC are masters of just that. Spin Spin Spin!

Recommended tracks: In the Flowers, My Girls, Summertime Clothes, No More Runnin, Brother Sport

3 comments:

  1. the cover freaks me out. the album does not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep alternating between...
    saying "whatever, it's pretty good, it's getting way too much hype."
    and waking up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep, because "My Girls" is stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete