Sunday, February 24, 2008

DJ Locutus Live Interview on KWUR Radio

First off, play the interview along side the video DB just posted with the audio turned off.... it matches perfectly, cut for cut. :-)

In all seriousness folks, it was great to have DJ Locutus interview live in station here at KWUR. He offered some really interesting insights into DJing from when he got into it versus now, the production side of it, as well as the international audience versus our American one. I did my best Babwa Wawa/Anderson Cooper/Charlie Rose impression including my lone raised eyebrow that reads pensive concern, though you can't see it in the podcast.

Being a DJ who almost exclusively gets gigs internationally, but resides here in St. Louis, it's quite a treat to have him spin here in St. Louis, Saturday March 8th at Mercury, 1025 Spruce St, in downtown St. Louis. I was quite ecstatic to get the chance to interview him on air, and he definitely didn't disappoint with his knowledge and thoughts on the electronic dance music scene.

Some Choice cuts:

When asked about the massive international EDM scene versus the American Scene, DJ Locutus replied:

"...I think a lot of it has to do with language barriers as well. It's a lot easier to listen to pop music in english where most of the pop music is produced. lf you're sitting in Germany, or if you're sitting in Japan, or if you're sitting in Brazil, you might as not be as interested in that."


When asked about the one track that really got him into techno, he responded with a really great anecdote about growing up, shuffling through record bins in Indiana:


"I talked a little bit about how we started going to these parties in 92, 93, and this guy named Nick ran this little record shop in our little hometown in Indiana, he would order all kinds of wierd punk rock and stuff, so we were like 'Man, you gotta get some of this techno, it's just so crazy,' and he said to us, 'Well, I got this fax. Just look through it and pick something out. But if you pick it, when it gets here, you have to buy it. I don't care what it sounds like, but if you pick it out, I'm ordering it for you,' and we're like 'uh, ok.' So, we pick five things, they came back, three of them we hated, one was ok, and one was called 'Belgian Resistance' by 'Underground Resistance.' That track blew my mind... I remember one time, I was sitting with my friends Dave and Andy, who are on Docile records right now, and I was like, "Look, I know we bought a lot of records, but every record we buy, from now on, has to sound just like this."

Here's the whole rest of the interview in an mp3 format...

Like I said, it's really great to have someone like DJ Locutus here in station, in St. Louis, supporting St. Louis Underground radio. I'd like to thank M^2 Productions for having him in station!

See ya on the dance floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment