Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The band you'll hate at the end of the year

Vampire Weekend.

Their album was officially released today (basically, its the same as what was going around last summer, just with strings added and 2 new songs), and really, every song is great. You can read all sorts of bullshit about the atmosphere and the preppiness-hipster battle thats deep within the album on pretty much all of the big music blogs today, but there isn't really a clunker to be found on the album (M79 comes the closest). Here's the thing though, they're a bunch of preppy, Ivy League dudes, and the album isn't that far separated from OAR-esque jam band douchiness (separated just enough to be great). Vampire Weekend is going to be everywhere. It's only a matter of time before the backlash comes, and in a big way too. Enjoy the album while you can, there's a lot to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm typically the anti-inde kind of music snob, but I love the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dig them. but I am worried that maybe I like them because I have not heard the music they are stealing stuff from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean I am kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. I did the whole african music obsession for a while, so I get what they have bastardized. But really they do a good job. Check out Thomas Mapfumo. That'll give you some context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. scooped?

    http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/01/vampire_weekend_backlash.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was a great writeup, thanks.

    ReplyDelete